Join us on Discord! We now have an official Discord server for OpenFLIXR: https://discord.gg/PcCErTQ , these forums will continue to operate as normal.

[fixed for OpenFLIXR 2.0] Converting VMware.ova to VirtualBox / Parallels / HyperV / unRAID ...

edited October 2017 in Hypervisors

Update: Below guides, except for when the Hyper-V image is ready, are unnecessary since there are specific ready to use images for:

• VirtualBox
  • VMware
  • KVM/unRAID
  • Parallels
---

Hello everybody.

for everyone who likes to use OpenFLIXR in VirtualBox or Paralles without waiting for dedicated releases, you can do it like this:

# VirtualBox HowTo

1. Download OpenFLIXR for VMware Software: http://www.openflixr.com/#Download
2. Extract the .ova-file (with WinRar, unrar or whatever)
3. delete the .mf-File
4. Edit the .ovf file like this:
     a. replace word "ElementName" with word "Caption" in the whole file
     b. replace "vmware.sata.ahci" with "AHCI"

5. Import the .ovf-file into VirtualBox.
6. Edit the VM:
     a. Disconnect the VirtualHDD from the ISCI-Controller (you can delete the ISCI-Controller)
     b. Reconnet the VirtualHDD to a SATA-Controller
     (The VirtualHDD is located at ~/VirtualBox VMs/[vm]/[vm]-disk1.vmdk on Mac OS X)

7. Maybe you have to edit RAM and CPU-Cores depending on your hardware.
8. Start the VM :)

10. Edit the network-configs: !!!!! see below !!!!!

# Parallels:

To import the VM into Parallels, you have to do the virtualBox stuff first :(
There are too many errors doing it another way (yet?)!

9. Go into the VirtualBox-VM-Path: ~/VirtualBox VMs/[vm]
Import the [name].vbox file (rightclick and open with Parallels , or directly by using the Import-option in Parallels)

10. Edit the network-configs: !!!!! see below !!!!!

# HyperV:

(see next Post!)

# unRAID:

(see next Post!)

# Editing the network-configuration

Login: openflixr / openflixr

1. ifconfig -a|cut -d" " -f2| sort|uniq
-> now it shows something like: enp0sXX
    XX = 17 for me at VirtualBox
    XX=5 for me at Parallels
    On HyperV it can be "eth0" instead of "enp0sXX"
2. sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
-> now replace eno16777736 with enp0s17, looks like:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The primary network interface
auto enp0s17
iface enp0s17 inet dhcp
3. sudo rm /run/network/ifstate.eno16777736
4. sudo reboot

# Just because I forgot it too

11. Run the firsttimescript:
sudo bash /opt/openflixr/firsttime
Beginners Guide - Beta-Notes

Your VM should run now! To get the IP you have to login and ifconfig -a or hostname -I again.

# Known Issues

1.Problem: Got a connection-error while running the firsttime-script in Parallels:
1.Solution: Generate a new MAC-Adress for your NIC (VM Settings -> Harware -> Settings -> Network -> Adv. Settings -> Generate )

2.Problem: After converting to VirtualBox, the service "netdata" may crashes after bootup!
2.Solution: You have to restart it: sudo /opt/netdata/usr/sbin/netdata

Best wishes: Jonn3y

Comments

• Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!
  • I'm running the image on HyperV so for anyone who wants to do the same, these are the steps I took:

• Installed Virtualbox (only key components, deselected everything else)
    • Ran vboxmanage.exe in command prompt from the install directory of vbox with command like this: VBoxManage clonehd filename.vmdk --format VHD filename.vhd (you do also have to point to the right directory of course)
    • Started HyperV Manager
    • Created new Virtual Machine with basic settings. (generation 1) and selected use existing disk which I pointed to the converted VHD image.
    • Started the newly created VM
    • Once, booted.. changed the network interface with help from the above last part of the tutorial (in my case eth0)
  • Got mine setup on Hyper-V as well. Thank you. I'll test this out.

• edited May 2016

For those that want to run on Unraid, I have been able to get OpenFLIXR running.

1. extracting the VMware OVF file and copy the vmdk file to Unraid.
    2. Convert the vmdk to a raw virtual disk.
      qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk -O raw OpenFLIXR_1.0b2-disk1.vmdk OpenFLIXR.img
    3. Manually add the virtual drive to a new VM in unraid.
    4. Enable the network adapter by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file
      (change the network adapter to eth0 and save)

5. Run first time script.
      sudo bash /opt/openflixr/firsttime

---Edit
    I noticed that the firsttime script doesn't seem to do everything that is stated on the front page. I only see plex getting installed. I am never asked to change the password or set a domain name. Does anyone know why this would happen?

• Havox, accompanying the download links there is the following statement:

Currently OpenFLIXR is in public beta so there are some things not finished :)
    Below are some known issues and missing features, see forums for details. Please read them before posting (bug) reports.

Let’s Encrypt support (do not make OpenFLIXR available from the Internet just yet)
    Web Based configuration wizard
    Changing passwords from wizard

Most likely they will be in the next Beta 4 that I expect in about a week.

• Thanks. You are right. I can't wait for it.

• Can someone please help me setup up openflixr with unRAID 6.2.0-rc3?

I get the following error:
    ip_local_port_range: prefer different parity for start/end values.

Kan iemand mij als je blieft helpen met het werketen krijgen van openflixr op unRaid 6.2.0-rc3?

Ik krijg de volgende fout:
    ip_local_port_range: prefer different parity for start/end values.

• Dat is geen fout, het is een melding vanwege het aanpassen van het max aantal connecties binnen OpenFLIXR. Als je hem update naar de laatste versie zal je ook dit bericht niet meer zien als het goed is.

Er zal een ander probleem zijn wat je hebt, neem aan dat er zaken niet werken?

• Klopt. Openflixr krijgt geen ip adres en ik heb netwerk adapter veranderd in eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces. Krijg dan nog steeds geen ip adres en mijn DHCP server werkt gewoon goed.

• edited August 2016

Ik heb de start post even bijgewerkt want, als je de unRAID versie gebruikt moet het zonder een aanpassing direct werken.
    Kijk op het unRAID forum voor de specifieke instellingen die je moet gebruiken, daar ben ik niet bekend mee.

Momenteel ben ik bezig om te kijken of OpenFLIXR direct te downloaden valt vanuit de unRAID web gui, zodat jullie met 1 druk op de knop gebruik kunnen maken van de appliance.

• @thebigfing said:
    Klopt. Openflixr krijgt geen ip adres en ik heb netwerk adapter veranderd in eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces. Krijg dan nog steeds geen ip adres en mijn DHCP server werkt gewoon goed.

Ha,

I've got unRAID working, in unRAID did you select the network bridge br0?
    I wrote a small tutorial in which i've added this as well: https://www.inpimation.com/installing-openflixr-unraid/

• Although I see the instructions for converting to Hyper-V ... is there any sort of timeline for when the official Hyper-V build will be released?

• Yes, I have it on my todo list for this week!

• cool ... I may as well wait and test it out then. Thanks :)

• any further update on this?

• Yes in fact I do. Obviously I didn't make it on time, but I do have everything in place and am working on creating new 1.5.0 images including Hyper-V. Won't be long now :)
  • ok, great. Thanks
  • edited September 2016
    Scorp said:

I'm running the image on HyperV so for anyone who wants to do the same, these are the steps I took:

• Installed Virtualbox (only key components, deselected everything else)
    • Ran vboxmanage.exe in command prompt from the install directory of vbox with command like this: VBoxManage clonehd filename.vmdk --format VHD filename.vhd (you do also have to point to the right directory of course)
    • Started HyperV Manager
    • Created new Virtual Machine with basic settings. (generation 1) and selected use existing disk which I pointed to the converted VHD image.
    • Started the newly created VM
    • Once, booted.. changed the network interface with help from the above last part of the tutorial (in my case eth0)
    the convert from VBOX (*.vmdh) to Hyper-v(*.vhd) workt fine, i got it running in hyper-v now , but the network stuff whas a nightmare.

"Cannot assign requested address "
    Whas the error i got. but i did know that the program whas running.

so to get it to work, i change to static and put in the same ip as the server whas given from the dhcp.
    and for some reason its looks like it works this time

• Yes, I had a short break but I'm back again :)
  • edited February 2017
    Yes, I had a short break but I'm back again :)
    Hi,

Wanted to know if you had any progress on the Hyper-V part? :smiley: 
  • Thanks for reminding me :) Time flies when you're having fun!
  • Hey there,

I was wondering what the Hyper-v status was?

I can't get this to work on Hyper-v at all, despite following the instructions for porting it over, it doesn't quite work right out of the box correctly (it never gets an ip address from the DHCP server so I can set it up).
  • edited July 2017
    Hey there,

I was wondering what the Hyper-v status was?

I can't get this to work on Hyper-v at all, despite following the instructions for porting it over, it doesn't quite work right out of the box correctly (it never gets an ip address from the DHCP server so I can set it up).
    I have just successfully converted the VMDK provided in the OVA to a VHD. I have corrected the networking and activated all of the LIS drivers. 

You can download here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoU4ThmsIIb9h7NDwxgO4pEmyI8KVw 

That's a Hyper-V export from a Windows 10 hypervisor. If you cannot import the Hyper-V Guest, you can setup a Generation 1 VM, and use an existing VHD.

Edit: I have also already updated the system via updateopenflixr. 
  • edited July 2017
    I could only get that to work by removing the s from https

Just fyi.

thank you for this!
  • OpenFLIXR 2.0
    All images will work out-of-the-box without any changes.
  • Getting an error trying to deploy the OVF to VMware vSphere 6.5 as follows...

The following manifest file entry [line 1] is invalid.  SHA256(OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox.ovf)=  ONE LONG NUMBER SEQUENCE.

Does anyone else have it working on VMware?
  • Getting an error trying to deploy the OVF to VMware vSphere 6.5 as follows...

The following manifest file entry [line 1] is invalid.  SHA256(OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox.ovf)=  ONE LONG NUMBER SEQUENCE.

Does anyone else have it working on VMware?
    Found the issue.  I was trying to import using the "fat" VMware client, which is limited in its hash-algorithm support.  Once I used the web client to perform the import, the appliance deployed successfully.