Join us on Discord! We now have an official Discord server for OpenFLIXR: https://discord.gg/PcCErTQ , these forums will continue to operate as normal.

Mounting local shared CIFS folder

Hi,

I'm trying to mount my Downloads folder which I have enabled sharing for in windows by using the webmin mount wizard thing. But it just hangs and times out when I try to add it. I can enter the ip address //192.168.0.xx/Downloads in chrome and it reads fine without a password.

If I go to the console hyper-v and do `sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.xxx/Downloads /mnt -o user=openflixr` it asks for a password!

I'm following this guide, but who the actual owner of the files should be listed as is unclear to me. My windows username is apparently "First Last (email@gmail.com)".

I'm so confused

Comments

• I've since created a new local user "openflixr" on windows so it can log in. But then openflixr returns this:
    mount error(115): Operation now in progress
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
  • edited January 2018
    No. The line in fstab:
    `//192.168.0.16/Downloads /mnt/downloads cifs guest,uid=1000,iochar=utf8 0 0`
    does not work. It just returns "invalid argument" error without further elaboration.

• edited January 2018
    As per my comment in that other thread, modern Windows won't let you use guest or anonymous, you'll need to authenticate as a valid actual account. There are ways, but no good way and no way that is better than just creating a specific username/password on your Windows box for the purpose.

A '-v' on the mount command should give you at least some sort of indication as to what is going on.
    I can see you have the format of the options wrong.
    Your line gives:
    root@openflixr:/mnt# mount -v /mnt/temp
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.220.3,unc=\\192.168.220.3\Downloads,iochar=utf8,uid=1000,user=,pass=********
    mount error(22): Invalid argument

Adding 'user=' making the line:
    //192.168.220.3/Downloads       /mnt/temp       cifs    user=guest,uid=1000,iochar=utf8 0 0
    Which now prompts for a password:
    Password for guest@//192.168.220.3/Downloads:
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.220.3,unc=\\192.168.220.3\Downloads,iochar=utf8,uid=1000,user=guest,pass=********
    mount error(22): Invalid argument
    But no password will satisfy the Windows authentication side.
    As mentioned, the guest user isn't the way to go, and I don't know if this platform handles your extra options anyway.
    Setting a username and password and dropping the spurious uid and iochar settings like this:
    //192.168.220.3/Downloads     /mnt/temp       cifs    user=openflixr,pass=mypass123456 0 0
    gives:
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.220.3,unc=\\192.168.220.3\Downloads,user=openflixr,pass=********
    root@openflixr:/mnt# ls temp/
    total 1004
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       0 Nov 14 21:08 apps
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       0 Aug 24  2015 music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       0 Nov 28 17:45 unsorted_movie
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       0 Nov 25 18:59 unsorted_tv
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       0 May  4  2017 z_movie

Hope that works for you.