Join us on Discord! We now have an official Discord server for OpenFLIXR: https://discord.gg/PcCErTQ , these forums will continue to operate as normal.

Jackett running as root

I first started to use OpenFLIXR a few months ago, and am very pleased with what's been accomplished here. I still felt that there was a learning curve, but OpenFLIXR has helped bring everything together. What it didn't do for me, I've managed with tutorials online. I'd say the biggest challenge was getting all the components (Sonarr/Lidarr/Couchpotato) talking to the torrent/NZ/Jackett components.

I have not yet gotten Plex request/Tautulli working yet, but that's the final piece. Everything else appears to be humming along.

One of the final loose ends I had to clear up was Jackett running as root - I saw a warning when I first connected to Jackett. I finally got around to running it as openflixr, but had already configured a ton of indexers! Running as openflixr, all my configuration was gone!

I managed to track down the explanation for this: Configuration is stored under ~/config for a given user. If you started configuring Jackett as root and then moved over to running as openflixr, try running the following as root:

(cd ~/.config;tar -cf - Jackett) | ( cd ~openflixr/.config;tar -xvf - )

This will take root's Jackett configuration and copy it to openflixr. You'll want to also chown everything to openflixr. This will do the trick:

(as root)

chown -R openflixr:openflixr ~openflixr/.config

Comments

• Here's another tip about jackett I found online:

You can reference all indexers at once like this https://i.imgur.com/yPSKg42.png

• Welcome.

Tautulli and Ombi ("plex requests") workiing well for me, so hit me up if you have questions.

You probably need to update the API key for access to Plex in each of these apps. That should be enough to make them go, but we'll get it sorted I'm sure.

• Thanks, Jeremy. I think my issue had to do with authentication. Ombi was trying to auth via Plex but Plex was authing via Facebook. I'm putting my money on that being a problem. Anyway, I got a plex request plugin working that integrates with plex and speaks to Couch Potato, Radarr and Sonarr. So I'm pretty satisfied with that.

I made additional progress towards ensuring no daemon gets run as root. I would like to share what I've put together here, in case it's helpful to others.

After encountering some difficulty upgrading a couple of the mono programs, I decided I wanted better control over how they started. I also wanted to make sure they never ran as root.

So I set out to write a startup script for the *arr tools as well as jackett. This is one script which can start sonarr/radarr/lidarr/jackett depending on what you name it. Copy it to /usr/bin/jackett and it starts jackett. Copy it to /usr/bin/lidarr and it starts llidarr.

You can see here all 4 of these scripts are the exact same file:

# ls -li /usr/bin/*arr /usr/bin/jackett

6030545 -rwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1796 Mar 19 00:14 /usr/bin/jackett

6030545 -rwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1796 Mar 19 00:14 /usr/bin/lidarr

6030545 -rwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1796 Mar 19 00:14 /usr/bin/radarr

6030545 -rwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1796 Mar 19 00:14 /usr/bin/sonarr

This could be easily expanded to launch other daemons as well. The contents of the start script leverages 'screen' which is installed by default and allows a process to both be executed behind the scenes and be easily interacted with (screen -DDR <label>)

IDK if this will be helpful to anybody else, but it's available in case you want it. You'd need to update /etc/system.d/system config files to point to these new scripts. If you're interested, it's here: http://carhart.net/allan/mono-daemons.tgz