Join us on Discord! We now have an official Discord server for OpenFLIXR: https://discord.gg/PcCErTQ , these forums will continue to operate as normal.

[fixed] VMWare image doesn't work when importing in Esxi 6.5

Hi there!

Great that finally there's a new version 2.0 :-)
But ... when I want to import it through te webinterface of Esxi 6.5, I got the following:

Line 25: Unsupported hardware family 'vmx-14'.

I don't know what to do. Do you have a solution, please?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Getting the same error on my ESXI 6.0.0 host.
  • Great feedback! I understand what the problem is, I'll have it fixed this weekend!
  • Great! Keep up the good work! :)
  • I'm getting the following error when importing into an ESXi 6.0 host via the standard vSphere client: "The OVF package is invalid and cannot be deployed. The following manifest file entry (line 1) is invalid: SHA256(OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware.ovf)=575bdd....."

And thanks mediajunkie for all of this. Amazing work man.
  • edited October 2017
    Had the same thing but I have extracted *.ovf and *.vmdk files from the *.ova, edited the *.ovf to change:
    <vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-14</vssd:VirtualSystemType>
    to:
    <vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-10</vssd:VirtualSystemType>
    (to match my ESXi 5.5) and then deployed it pointing to that *.ovf file.
    It was deployed and started successfully. I am now waiting the mandatory couple minutes and will proceed with setup.

Thanks mediajunkie for your work on this :)

• Ditto, I got the same results as koelkast.

I was siked to doe this today.

All good (great) things come in time.

Thank You mediajunkie for all your efforts.

On standby.

• Fixed image, when you download it again, it will be compatible with ESX 6.0 and higher.
  • Awesome, you the man!!!
  • I just changed mine to vmx-7 and removed the "sata" and it worked in hypervisor 6.5
  • edited April 2018
    Wan't to report the same issue with ESXi 5.1 on XPEnology. Strange enough I had it up and running the first time, after fiddling with the ovf file. But after messing up my OpenFLIXR setup I decided to remove the VM, and start from scratch. But things aren't working out now. Let me tell you what I did so far:
    1. Downloaded a fresh copy of the VM
    2. unzipped it
    3. renamed the manifest file extension to ._mf (since the encryption key will be wrong)
    4. in vSphere I do "deploy OVF Template"
    5. First error will show about wrong Unsupported hardware family. Mine is vmx-09 (5.1) so I edit the ovf file accordingly.
    6. Then I try a new deploy OVF Template. Next error is "No support for the virtual hardware device type ’20’". There are several articles floating around on the internet that explain how to fix this. In my ovf file I need to change following:

<Item>
        <rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>
       <rasd:Description>SATA Controller</rasd:Description>   <rasd:ElementName>sataController0</rasd:ElementName>
       <rasd:InstanceID>3</rasd:InstanceID>         <rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.sata.ahci</rasd:ResourceSubType>         <rasd:ResourceType>20</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>

with:

<Item>
      <rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>
      <rasd:Caption>SCSIController</rasd:Caption>
      <rasd:Description>SCSI Controller</rasd:Description>
      <rasd:ElementName>SCSIController</rasd:ElementName>
      <rasd:InstanceID>5</rasd:InstanceID>
      <rasd:ResourceSubType>lsilogic</rasd:ResourceSubType>
      <rasd:ResourceType>6</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>

7. New deploy OVF. this time no errors. But when starting up the VM the command prompt gives me this error : 
      error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>

I found information about the problem that presents itself when changing the controller. The VM will not find the OS (more about this here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1006621 and here: http://terenceluk.blogspot.no/2010/12/changing-virtual-machines-boot-hard.html

But I am not getting anywhere. Can not figure out what I did right the first run, and where I am failing on the second try. Any advice is welcome.
  • edited April 2018
    ( Just a follow up. No new topic since it is in extension of what is tested above. )

This is getting crazy. Installed Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager. Imported the ova file, and am getting this error:

Failed to import appliance C:\Users\harry\Downloads\OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox.ova.

Could not create the imported medium 'C:\Users\harry\VirtualBox VMs\vm\OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox-disk1.vmdk'.

VMDK: Compressed image is corrupted 'C:\Users\harry\OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_ZIP_CORRUPTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
    Component: ApplianceWrap
    Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
    To make sure my ova file is OK, I downloaded it 3 times. Every time the same error when importing. Any idea what is going on?
  • Getting the same error as mhunter deploying on esxi 6.0.0:

m.hunter509
     said:
    I'm getting the following error when importing into an ESXi 6.0 host via the standard vSphere client: "The OVF package is invalid and cannot be deployed. The following manifest file entry (line 1) is invalid: SHA256(OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware.ovf)=575bdd....."

And thanks mediajunkie for all of this. Amazing work man.
    The fix was to download ovftool and run this command: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151537

I think if you use SHA1 during OVA creation it would eliminate this problem:
    https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/11/default-hashing-algorithm-changed-in-ovftool-4-2-preventing-ovfova-import-using-vsphere-c-client.html
  • Something for @mediajunkie to implement when he does the next image refresh.
  • edited January 13
    This was how I converted, so I could remove SHA256 and set the VMX version to be compatible with esxi 5.5:  
    ovftool --maxVirtualHardwareVersion=08 --shaAlgorithm=SHA1
      OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox.ova
      OpenFLIXR_2.0_VMware_VirtualBox-SHA1-vmx8.ovf

You'll still need to edit the ovf file to swap vmware.sata.ahci to lsilogicsas, but it saves unpacking and repacking the OVA or manually moving files into the datastore.

Manually check the SHA1 hash of the modified .ovf, and update into the .mf file.
  • Hardware v8 is actually esx 5.0 - you should aim for v10.
    https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2007240
    Ideally you want to get up to v13 with any linux system so that the disks can be reported as flash/ssd if you are using ssd storage.